[Talk-us] TIGER 2010 Imports

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Dec 15 17:37:32 GMT 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all, can we agree as a group to hold off on importing or applying
> any TIGER 2010 data until we come up with a way to apply changes in a
> uniform and somewhat organized manner?

I don't see why TIGER 2010 should be treated differently from any
other imports.  If you have data that you're sure is more accurate
than what's already there, and are using well-established tags, then
go ahead and import.  If you're not sure if your data is more accurate
than what's already there, don't import.  If you are making up your
own tags, then talk about it first.

> Having said that: let's start a thread here about getting the TIGER data
> moving along. What steps can we take to move the shapefiles in to OSM
> format? How can we collaborate on the mapping to OSM tags?

What is it you want to import from TIGER 2010 in the first place?  I'm
not convinced there's any feasible way to import TIGER 2010 while
guaranteeing that the import is more accurate than what's already
there.