[Talk-us] TIGER 2010 Imports

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Wed Dec 15 17:52:33 GMT 2010

>> Having said that: let's start a thread here about getting the TIGER data
>> moving along. What steps can we take to move the shapefiles in to OSM
>> format? How can we collaborate on the mapping to OSM tags?
>
> What is it you want to import from TIGER 2010 in the first place?  I'm
> not convinced there's any feasible way to import TIGER 2010 while
> guaranteeing that the import is more accurate than what's already
> there.

  The exact thing I'm looking for in my area is

 1.)   New streets - mostly from new subdivisions.
 2.)  Improved geometry for road centerlines - if and where it exists in
TIGER.
 3.)  Updates on road names / other changes I've missed.

   I don't see this as a mass automated operation - it will be some sort of
manual operation assisted by tools where possible.