[Talk-us] Fwd: SF Gov GIS data clickthrough license - compatible with OpenStreetMap?

Brian Wilson brian at wildsong.biz
Wed Dec 15 20:16:43 GMT 2010

Dear OSM folk,

I have been following the discussion here regarding San Francisco's legal
position and it got me going again thinking about importing City of
Corvallis Oregon data. I worked there for a couple years and so I know the
GIS people's attitude about sharing data. They have made it available on an
FTP site for over 10 years now. Of course, that does not make it free --
just freely available. So I opened a dialog with Alice Grucza, my former
supervisor and asked. Dialog included below.

What do I need to do to make this official and or acceptable with OSM?
I have only been on this list for a couple months so I have no idea what the
process is.

Thanks

Brian H Wilson
Corvallis Oregon

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Brian Wilson <brian at wildsong.biz> wrote:
> Hi Alice,
>
> I've been looking at Open Street Map thinking about City of Corvallis
> GIS data. I know you make it widely available but what about allowing
> someone (like me) to put it into OSM? OSM sensibly requires a clear
> legal position for data before allowing import. Is there a formal
> position for distribution and use of your data?
>
> I've been thinking that I would like to add bike facilities, parks,
> trails, and possibly building footprints. (Not sure how much detail
> they actually want.)
>
> Cheers
>
> Brian

to    Brian Wilson <brian at wildsong.biz>
date    Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 4:12 PM
subject    RE: openstreetmap
mailed-by    ci.corvallis.or.us

Brian,

We have a similar disclaimer, although it is currently not up on the FTP
site. There is no restriction on derivative use of the data.

The disclaimer:

"This information was derived from digital databases on the City of
Corvallis GIS. Care was taken in the creation of this information but it
is provided "as is". The City of Corvallis cannot accept any
responsibility for errors, omissions, or positional accuracy in the
digital data or the underlying records. Liability is limited to
replacing only defective digital media. Users of this data shall protect
and hold harmless the City of Corvallis if errors in the information
cause injury to a third party. There are no warranties, express or
implied, including the warranty of merchantability or fitness for a
particular purpose, accompanying this product. However, notification of
any errors will be appreciated."

I hope this is what you need. Thanks for checking back. Have a great
weekend!

Alice A. Grucza, GISP
GIS Coordinator
City of Corvallis, Oregon