[Talk-us] [OSM-newbies] Mississippi Gulf Coast - Uploading buildings - need comments.

Eric Ladner eric.ladner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 01:29:41 GMT 2010

Moved from newbies list.  Responses below.

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Eric,
>
> I don't know you're OSM username, but welcome to the community. This
> really isn't a newbie question, though I'm going to try to answer it
> as best as I can.

OSM username - ELadner

> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Eric Ladner <eric.ladner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I processed a bunch of buildings from the Mississippi Automated
>> Resource Information System (MARIS).
>
> I hunted a bunch on this page and haven't seen a license. Do you have
> the URL for the dataset, and for the license?

Good point.  I ASSUME that since it's a government agency that it is
public data, but I realize that can be a mistake.  I sent an email to
the MARIS folks to see what their license is.  I couldn't find
anything about licensing on their site either.  I expect the results
will be good, but if not, the data is fairly easily scrubbed the way
it's tagged now.

>> This is a test upload (~3000 buildings) of a strip of buildings over
>> in Pascagoula.
>>
>> I didn't know what else to add to the buidings as far as tagging goes,
>> but I tagged them as buildings (naturally) and added a "source" tag.
>
> Please, if you're thinking of doing an import, follow the import guidelines:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

Ahh.. I shall read that and follow the guidelines.  Thanks for the info.

> These guidelines document a pretty complete process, of which
> uploading data to the database is the final step. First we (the
> community) need to check out the data in terms of license, quality,
> discuss tagging, how you're going to handle overlapping data, etc.
>
>> Comments welcome.  I can upload the process of converting the data,
>> too, if anybody's interested.
>
> That needs to be documented on the wiki, as per the import guidelines,
> but the other issues are even more important.
>
> I'd suggest that this discussion should probably take place on talk-us
> (the US centric OSM mailing list).

Done.

--
Eric Ladner