[Talk-us] [OSM-newbies] Mississippi Gulf Coast - Uploading buildings - need comments.

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 03:16:07 GMT 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Eric Ladner <eric.ladner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Moved from newbies list.  Responses below.
>
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Eric,
>>
>> I don't know you're OSM username, but welcome to the community. This
>> really isn't a newbie question, though I'm going to try to answer it
>> as best as I can.
>
> OSM username - ELadner

Wow you've been with the project a long time!

>> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Eric Ladner <eric.ladner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I processed a bunch of buildings from the Mississippi Automated
>>> Resource Information System (MARIS).
>>
>> I hunted a bunch on this page and haven't seen a license. Do you have
>> the URL for the dataset, and for the license?
>
> Good point.  I ASSUME that since it's a government agency that it is
> public data, but I realize that can be a mistake.

There's a widely held misconception that all government data in the US
is public domain. All federal data is public domain in that it's not
copyrighted. But that only applies to federal data (and of course
classified data is a whole other matter).

State and local governments are not the same and so one can't assume
that any data is public domain from them without an explicit license,
specific agreement with OSM or state law.

One of the nice things about this list is how knowledge folks are
about licenses and laws.

>  I sent an email to
> the MARIS folks to see what their license is.  I couldn't find
> anything about licensing on their site either.  I expect the results
> will be good, but if not, the data is fairly easily scrubbed the way
> it's tagged now.
>

>>> This is a test upload (~3000 buildings) of a strip of buildings over
>>> in Pascagoula.
>>>
>>> I didn't know what else to add to the buidings as far as tagging goes,
>>> but I tagged them as buildings (naturally) and added a "source" tag.
>>
>> Please, if you're thinking of doing an import, follow the import guidelines:
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines
>
> Ahh.. I shall read that and follow the guidelines.  Thanks for the info.

Awesome.

The thing that's hard community-wise is we want data, and imports,
while controversial, have a place. The thing is just to be sure
they're done in a way that's sustainable, and that the data is good.

We're all sinners here though, especially me, the Parking Lot and
Garbage Can king of Washington, DC.

- Serge