[Talk-us] "refs" describing routes instead of ways

Tue Dec 21 05:55:00 GMT 2010

At 2010-12-20 13:19, Richard Welty wrote:
>are these references from the control map visibly and prominently posted
>on the ways in the "mythical" real world?
>
>if so, it's reasonable to use them in ref tags. if not, then they should not
>go in ref tags. most renderers will display them on the assumption that there
>is some real signage displaying them; this will only confuse users. i have in
>the past pondered whether we need something like
>
>ref_admin:state=
>ref_admin:county=
>
>for these types of admin tags (NY and various NY counties have them
>as well.)

After tagging some of these in Kern County, CA, but then seeing them
rendered when nobody except road engineers really know what they are, I
agree. There are also occasions where a road will need a rendered state
route shield as well as a non-rendered county road number.

What key should we use in combination with ref_admin:state to tag the
state? (I currently use is_in:state_code for this and mileposts, but don't
like it because I'm not trying to indicate where it is, but instead whose
reference it is).

What keys should we use in combination with ref_admin:county to tag the
state and county? (I currently use is_in:county, is_in:state_code with
apprehensions above).