[Talk-us] help mapping construction

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 06:21:27 GMT 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:03 AM, Nathan Mills <nathan at nwacg.net> wrote:
> I ran into a situation today that I can't figure out how to correctly
> map. The westbound carriageway of I-40 in the easternmost few miles of
> Oklahoma is closed for construction and the westbound lanes are now
> routed on the eastbound carriageway.
>
> What's the best way to map this? Leave both carriageways alone and just
> mark them as construction=minor?
I'd probably do this unless it's a long multiyear project.

> Or should the westbound carriageway be
> marked as highway=construction and construction=motorway, the oneway tag
> removed from the eastbound carriageway, and the existing ramps mapped?

This would be another possibility - but be sure to use oneway=no
because highway=motorway implies oneway=yes and some routers may treat
it that way. But if there's a Jersey barrier between the two
directions, I'd draw a new temporary westbound carriageway right next
to the eastbound (and shift the eastbound way half a lane south,
assuming the aerials are high enough resolution to measure that out).