[Talk-us] "refs" describing routes instead of ways

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 06:26:46 GMT 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:55 AM, Alan Mintz
<Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net> wrote:
> At 2010-12-20 13:19, Richard Welty wrote:
>>
>> are these references from the control map visibly and prominently posted
>> on the ways in the "mythical" real world?
>>
>> if so, it's reasonable to use them in ref tags. if not, then they should
>> not
>> go in ref tags. most renderers will display them on the assumption that
>> there
>> is some real signage displaying them; this will only confuse users. i have
>> in
>> the past pondered whether we need something like
>>
>> ref_admin:state=
>> ref_admin:county=
>>
>> for these types of admin tags (NY and various NY counties have them
>> as well.)
>
> After tagging some of these in Kern County, CA, but then seeing them
> rendered when nobody except road engineers really know what they are, I
> agree. There are also occasions where a road will need a rendered state
> route shield as well as a non-rendered county road number.
>
> What key should we use in combination with ref_admin:state to tag the state?
> (I currently use is_in:state_code for this and mileposts, but don't like it
> because I'm not trying to indicate where it is, but instead whose reference
> it is).
>
> What keys should we use in combination with ref_admin:county to tag the
> state and county? (I currently use is_in:county, is_in:state_code with
> apprehensions above).

To add to confusion, different state agencies may use different
numbers (perhaps a toll road without a signed number is given one
number by the DOT and another by the toll agency). Or take those
states where the route numbers are defined legislatively. Or Oregon,
where there are highway numbers (unsigned) and route numbers (normally
signed) - but some route numbers have been officially designated but
not signed, and may differ from the highway number.

I think there are enough possibilities that no single method will
work. I've used FDOT_ref for hidden state road numbers in Florida, and
it's enough for Florida's system. Other states may need more. Or
unsigned_ref may be sufficient in many places.