[Talk-us] "refs" describing routes instead of ways

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Dec 23 02:45:41 GMT 2010

On 12/22/10 9:00 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:

> This isn't a problem with the data itself, but with the renderers.  I'm
> talking about a problem with how we handle the data, the folks
> developing the renderers can just deal with it like they have every
> other tag.
the ref tag has a commonly accepted usage, and most of the rendering
and routing engines use it in about the same way. the expectation is that
it's something meaningful for renders. it may be that we want to
evolve it, but just changing it without a plan and some level of agreement,
and declaring that it's the renderers that are wrong, is a recipe mostly for
ticking people off.

richard