[Talk-us] Why addr:state rather than is_in:state?

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 22:22:52 GMT 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 5:23 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Having said that - this is what he had in mind when we invented addr:*,
> but of course if the wider community wants to use addr:* for different
> stuff then I guess we cannot keep them from it...

It looks like the addr:state tags were just added recently in a mass
edit by rickmastfan67:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/rickmastfan67/edits

So I wouldn't say this is a "wider community" thing at all. I would
tend to agree that is_in would be better. Also, is there much value in
adding these tags on multi-state relations? For example:
addr:state=TN;KY;OH;IN on this relation:

Toby