[Talk-us] [Warning: Potential Flamewar] Clarifying Interstate Relations

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Mon Feb 8 22:16:27 GMT 2010

Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Matthias Julius <lists at julius-net.net> wrote:
>> Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> writes:
>>
>>> What's more annoying is that he is changing the names/refs.   From
>>> what I understand the ref is supposed to be only the
>>> interstate/highway number (e.g. "90" or "80") and not "I 90 (MN)".
>>
>> And I don't like this at all.  First, this seems to be different than
>> how this is handled in many other places in the world.  From what I
>> have seen in Europe there is always the complete designation how it is
>> found on highway shields used in the ref tag.
>
> I don't know if you have travelled much in the US and I've never been
> to Europe, but US road signs are pretty minimal:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:I-80.svg
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_69.svg
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Iowa_3.svg
>
> The color and shape of the sign is used to distinguish different types
> of routes.

On the shields, yes.  But everyone calls 'I 75' just that and not 'the
highway 75 on a blue shield'.

>> Second, separating out the highway system requires the data consuming
>> application to know how to piece things back together.  Otherwise, a
>> shield on a map for example with just a "25" in it is pretty limited in
>> use.
>
> Again, the color and shape of the shield is used to distinguish different routes

So if a renderer puts the correct shield on a highway that is
certainly helpful.  But, if it does not know about the particular
tagging schema I would prefer that it puts 'I 25' on ther instead of
just '25'.  My point is that the ref tag should contain the complete
reference to the object and not require the consideration of another
tag.

>> Third, I consider a reference containing just the number to be
>> incomplete.  IMHO, the ref tag should contain the complete designation
>> of a piece of highway.  This also makes it easier to search for this.
>
> That's why I set the name tag on the relation to something a little
> more descriptive.

IMHO it is wrong to set the name tag if the highway does not really
have a name.

> Obviously, this scheme works only in the US, which is why the
> "network" tag is used to distinguish US routes from those in other
> countries.

The network tag is certainly useful to make it easier to distinguish a
German 'A 4' from a British 'A 4' for example.

Matthias