[Talk-us] [Warning: Potential Flamewar] Clarifying InterstateRelations

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Feb 8 23:30:27 GMT 2010

On 2/8/10 5:57 PM, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
> quite. the format for ref in relations is very clear, for example
>

>     network=US:I
>     ref=95
>

> Don't think this is clear. US:I is wrong, the network is only I. Any
> consumer application can figure out that it is in US by itself. as an
> example mkgmap currently supports custom shields and does it based on
> the way refs. But with US:I an application has to filter the US:
> specifically for this kind of network which isn't used anywhere else.
> if you think the state, country info is needed as a tag use is_in or
> an addr:* tag
> combining different values in a single tag makes it too complicated to
> consume data.
there is a major disconnect between what people think is "right" and
what the wiki calls for. from

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Interstate_Highways_Relations

we see:

network=US:I, US:I:BUSINESS, US:I:DOWNTOWN, US:I:FUTURE      Required.
Business, downtown and future routes have their own signage

and

ref=*                                     Required. ex. 90

and many people have been busy building relations to fit this specification.

from
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_Numbered_Highway_Relations

network=US:US
ref=*     ex. 20