[Talk-us] hyrdography imports

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Feb 10 17:33:45 GMT 2010

"Mike N." <niceman at att.net> writes:

> b.)  All current scripts I know of require significant rework, short of
> importing the NHD into a local GEO database, then exporting it to remove
> duplicate nodes.

I have been thinking about imports (but not getting around to it, partly
because it's more time than I have and partly because doing it right
seems hard), and typically I end up thinking that the right thing is
putting the imported features into postgis and also the current map and
then doing some sort of processing to figure out what needs to happen.
There's duplicate detection of features, and the way/node bit.

As an example, consider a set of polygons of town boundaries.  It seems
clear that there should be a bunch of points at each vertex (no dupes),
ways for each common border, and then each town boundary a relation (and
also country and state).