[Talk-us] GNIS - All Feature_Classes Imported?

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 00:17:03 GMT 2010

It seems that not all GNIS Feature_Classes were imported, at least not
in Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado.  For example, in this
area (http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=40.4038&lon=-105.52128&zoom=15&layers=B000FTF)
there is a prominent rock formation called "Twin Owls".  It is shown
on the 7.5' topo map, and there are signs in the area showing how to
hike to its base.  It is not in OSM.  The GNIS Feature_Class is
"pinnacle", and I have noticed other missing features with the same
class.   I am happy to work on importing such features, but wanted to
see what the group thought first.

I posted a similar question on the wiki discussion page for GNIS, but
have not gotten an answer.  I also posted something to the user
diaries and got one response which stated that all features had been
imported and it was probably a rendering issue.  I am pretty sure the
data is not there and that it is not a rendering issue. I downloaded
the data for the area and searched for this feature, and it was not
present.

Mike