[Talk-us] US Chapter Temporary Board Nomination

Peter Batty peter at ebatty.com
Sun Feb 14 06:42:25 GMT 2010

I would like to thank Richard Weait for nominating me for the temporary
board of OpenStreetMap US, and I am pleased to accept the nomination.

I'm Peter Batty, I'm a Brit living in the USA, in downtown Denver, I hosted
the first mapping party here (and several since), and am an active mapper.

I've worked in the geospatial industry for 20+ years. I am currently Vice
President of Geospatial Technology at Ubisense. I have previously been CTO
at 2 of the 3 largest geospatial software companies, Intergraph and
Smallworld (now part of GE). I'm on the Advisory Boards of FortiusOne and
PublicEarth. I have been a founder of two startups, Spatial Networking and
Ten Sails, the company that provided early stage funding to and later merged
with Ubisense. I've worked as Chief Technology Advisor at Enspiria
Solutions. I consulted with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to help
them initiate the AGCommons Project, focused on improving the incomes and
lives of small farmers in sub-Saharan Africa through use of geospatial
information. I served for 5 years on the board of GITA (the Geospatial
Information and Technology Association http://www.gita.org), a leading
geospatial industry association focused on education.

Having been around geospatial data and applications for 20+ years, I think
OSM is an awesome thing! I have done a lot to promote OSM by discussing it
in various conference presentations around the world, and on my blog (
http://geothought.blogspot.com) and twitter (http://twitter.com/pmbatty). I
gave a keynote talk at State of the Map 2009 in Amsterdam on "Geodata
creation: past, present and future" (http://www.vimeo.com/5589282). As I
mentioned above, I have organized several mapping parties in Denver, and I
was also a primary organizer of last year's WhereCamp5280 event in Denver.

I have served on the board of two non-profit organizations, GITA and my Home
Owners' Assocation in Denver (where I was President); on the advisory boards
of two small companies as mentioned above; and on the executive management
teams of two of the world's top 200 software companies, as well as two
startups. I believe that this broad experience would be valuable to the US
OSM board. I feel I am a good team player and good at mediating and
resolving issues - for example I tried to be a calming influence during the
recent heated OSM license debates! I think that my profile and contacts in
the geospatial industry can help OSM US liaise with other groups that may be
able to help us and promote participation in and usage of OSM, such as GITA,
URISA, USGS and others.