[Talk-us] Whole-US Garmin Map (02-10-2010) update

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 17:25:46 GMT 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Apollinaris Schoell <aschoell at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 18 Feb 2010, at 5:36 , Lars Ahlzen wrote:
>
> > Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
> >> Anyone knows where to get NED data for large areas? The seamless
> >> server is such a pain and it will take forever just for a single
> >> state. or we could start a crowd source effort to download and share
> >> them.
> >
> > They don't exactly advertise it, but USGS will actually take an external
> hard drive that you provide, fill it with NED data and ship it back to you.
> >
> > We're trying to find a place to host this massive data set, though, so
> hopefully downloading will get a lot easier soon.
> >

> thats cool do you have the data already? What about providing it as a set
> of torrent files? Torrent is the perfect protocol to distribute such a huge
> set of data. btw how big is it?
>

> Actually, perhaps the best idea is to create a wiki page ... extention of
the US wiki page. and list the download locations of each of the topo map
IMG files.   Over time, these files will get shared across the torrent
network.   Just call it an obvious name... like 'SRTM USA Garmin 25m
Contours - MyState'. :)   (... i would prefer a sharing (everyone who is
working on it,  shares the page)  Google Docs chart, as it can handle a
larger volume of data in a single chart better than the wiki can..... but
thats just me :)

Mediafire.com is fine, but it only allows for the max .zip file size of
200megs.  I dont know how many 1degX1deg tiles can fit.   .. Canada is
already chopped up into nice NTS tile sizes, so it makes it easier for
sorting out what tiles are available.  .. I dont know if the US has a
similar system?
... and this same system can be extended to convert north America... just
change the numbers
http://maps.nrcan.gc.ca/topo_metadata/topo_click_e.php

And ya.. i found that in areas that had buildings, the SRTM data choked and
it shows empty space.
Im going to (hopefully) get a hard copy (of the GeoBase data shp files), as
maybe i can build from that since it's slightly better.  ...although in
areas that have been minded the data might (obviously) be in correct.

Once i get a master install file done.. then i'll make a DVD of it, and
share it with people to rip more DVDs to pass on to others. :)  ... that's
how the ibycus topo is done.

(apologies if im repeating myself, it's getting late) :)

cheers,
Sam