[Talk-us] Use of highway=tertiary

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Jan 4 23:58:49 GMT 2010

Stellan Lagerstrom <lagerstrom at blindsight.com> writes:

> We have a user (mk408) who seems intent on turning 3/4 of all
> residential streets in the bay area into tertiary.
> This seems excessive to me. Most of these are just residential streets,
> not thoroughfares, etc.
> Views?
> Here's one changeset: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/3519089

I think tertiary is way overused.  Starting with the notion that
highway=secondary should be a state highway, tertiary should be a
significant road that people use to get to a state highway, or at least
a link between population centers of thousands of people.  Other main
roads within a city would then be unclassified.