[Talk-us] Use of highway=tertiary

Alan Brown adbrown1967 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 19:36:13 GMT 2010

In an urban area, I think of tertiary as being the road you use to go between and through neighborhoods.

I also "aim" for a particular aesthetic:

Between every pair of primary roads, there usually will be one or two secondary roads.

Between every pair of secondary roads, there usually will be one or two tertiary roads.

Of course - it doesn't always work out this way.  In a given area, all secondary roads should have roughly the
equivalent capacity and significance, and all tertiary roads should have roughly the equivalent capacity and significance.
But following this aesthetic makes a map attractive and useful to the reader.