[Talk-us] Does only_straight_on imply no_u_turn?

Fri Jan 8 11:17:44 GMT 2010

When tagging a T-shaped intersection like this:

AAA+AAA

if you tag a no_left_turn restriction from A into B, it renders (in JOSM
anyway) as an arrow going straight and right. This doesn't make sense in
these T-intersection cases because there is no road continuing right from
the intersection. So, I've been tagging these as only_straight_on instead,
which effectively is the same thing, but renders better (though not the
same as the sign).

However, in tagging a no-left/no-U at such an intersection, I realize that
"only_straight_on" might also imply no_u_turn, in which case most of my
previous tagging in the case above is wrong, since most of them were
no-left-turn signs only (i.e. U-turns are allowed).

Does only_straight_on imply no_u_turn (in addition to meaning no left and
no right)? If so, does it make more sense to render no_left_turn as a
left-turning arrow with a line through it, instead of the current
straight+right arrow?