[Talk-us] How do you use OpenStreetMap?

Paul Jarratt pej289 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 23:43:30 GMT 2010

 How do you use OpenStreetMap? Want to help spread the word about the
free wiki map of the world by telling your story? Then read on…

As a lot of you may know I’ve been working to raise the profile of
OpenStreetMap by creating media materials and sharing them with the
community, and reaching out to the press. We’ve already had some
success with features appearing in publications such as The New York
Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/17/technology/internet/17maps.html/?_r=1),
Wired (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/08/gps-hackers/) and BBC
Online (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8305924.stm).

I now want to to keep the momentum going by highlighting to the media
the feature that makes OSM special; the people in our community. To do
this I’m on the look out for unique uses of OpenStreetMap by community
members, stories about your latest memorable mapping adventures, or
unusual mapping techniques. I want to focus on showcasing how, why and
where people map and the specific reasons mappers find it fun and
exciting to be part of this crowd sourcing phenomena.

Perhaps you put your GPS unit in a plastic bag and attach it to the
side of your kayak to mark your latest whitewater accomplishment? Are
you leading a local initiative to ensure all recycle points, wi-fi
hotspots are featured for your local area or simply looking to ensure
your local neighborhood is more accurate than on any other maps out
there? Are you a cyclist, skier, hiker, mountain biker, rock climber
and find OpenStreetMap an invaluable tool for your hobby? If the
answer to any of these questions is YES, then I’d like to hear from
you!

If interested, please reply by completing the fields below. I promise
to respond to every email I receive.

MY OSM EXPERIENCE

1. Name:

2. Contact Information:

3. City and State:

4. How long have you been involved with OSM and why did you start contributing?

5. Describe your interesting mapping experience, technique or project
you are taking part in or leading?

6. What unusual or creative uses do you have for OSM?

7. What is the strangest place or feature that you have mapped?

8. How do you use OSM in your everyday activities or other hobbies –
why bring the two together?

9. Anything else you’d like to share, perhaps an unusual mapping story?

 Look forward to hearing from you,

Paul

--
Paul Jarratt