[Talk-us] Ohio Statewide Imagery Program

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Jan 20 02:39:19 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 7:44 PM, David ``Smith'' <vidthekid at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have recently noticed that Google Earth has incorporated OSIP (Ohio
> Statewide Imagery Program,
> <http://ogrip.oit.ohio.gov/ProjectsInitiatives/StatewideImagery.aspx>)
> imagery into their "historical imagery" feature.  (Actually, I have to
> wonder why it's not used more on the default/current image layer, as
> in many places it's newer and/or finer-resolution than that layer.)
> Anyway, when the OSIP imagery is visible, the attribution portion of
> the window does not use the copyright symbol.  Just to be sure about
> copyright status, I called Jeff Smith today (his contact info appears
> on the OSIP download page) and asked about it.  He said that the OSIP
> data is all public-domain.  (I also asked him if he was aware of OSM,
> and he said he was, but I didn't press for more details.)
>
> Since this data is public-domain, and newer and/or sharper than the
> Yahoo! imagery*, I think it would be very worthwhile to investigate
> ways to easily use it for tracing or general reference in OSM.  There
> seems to be a WMS service, but I couldn't get JOSM's WMS plugin to
> work with it.

JOSM's WMS plugin is fairly primitive, in that it can't use the WMS
protocol to discover information about the WMS server and the layers
it offers.  Usually what I do is use QGIS to explore the WMS server
and figure out the URL to plug into JOSM.  I haven't figured out an
easy way to get the URL out of QGIS so I use Wireshark to watch the
packets and extract the URL that way.  Here's a URL that works in JOSM
for Cuyahoga County:

http://gis1.oit.ohio.gov:80/wmsconnector/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/osip?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&SRS=EPSG:4326&STYLES=&FORMAT=image/jpeg&LAYERS=18&

For different counties, change the number in the LAYERS parameter.

> I acknowledge that using OSIP may be difficult from a programmer's
> standpoint, given that it uses Ohio State Plane projections (which are
> conics) rather than Mercator.

Actually, the Ohio WMS server defaults to using WGS 84, but can
transform it on the server side other projections if you really wanted
to.

--
Jeff Ollie