[Talk-us] Cadastral/PLSS info?

Tue Jan 26 21:39:03 GMT 2010

I'm using assessor, tract, survey, etc. maps from county recorders in
southern California as a reference for street names and other features.
Many such maps are georeferenced only by the markings of township, range,
section, quarter, etc. It would be useful to be able to put the section
corners into OSM to visualize where I am in relation to these maps, and/or
be able to use them occasionally to line up a piclayer image.

Has anyone done this before, and is there a recommended tagging schema, or
does anyone have suggestions for one? I mostly just want to create section
(and maybe quarter) corners as points - the lines that form the t/r/s/q
boundaries are really unnecessary, and would only clutter things up.

I searched the forum, mailing list archive, and wiki for related terms and,
surprisingly, found almost nothing relevant.