[Talk-us] script for adding layer=1 to bridges

dion_dock at comcast.net dion_dock at comcast.net
Thu Jan 28 19:34:53 GMT 2010

----- "David ``Smith''" <vidthekid at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

I think a better example is http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33.77333&lon=-84.56043&zoom=17&layers=0B00FTF .

Osmarender has drawn the secondary road with its bridge then draws the motorway over both.

> >> I'd suggest to modify Osmarender rather than the data, then.
> >
> > No this is Tiger import data, the data arrived wrong and was half
> > corrected. (much of tiger has intersecting nodes where there should be
> > bridges. some bridge insertion went without layering), It missing all but
> > implied layering of bridge-nature. What we can't tell without checking
> > satellite view is whether the bridge is at grade level with the Railroad in
> > a ditch, or if the bridge pitches up over the RR.

snip

> Anyway, I have seen places where people have cleaned up freeway
> corridors, and neglected to tag "layer" on anything unless there are
> bridges crossing over other bridges. Mapnik renders this fine
> (actually that could be considered a deficiency of Mapnik in my
> opinion) but it looks a little goofy in Osmarender. (On the other

I agree; since the OSM wiki says bridge=yes needs a layer= tag, Mapnik is covering up mistakes in the data. That said, I'm also not a big fan of tags that _require_ other tags. Perhaps it should have been bridge=n where n is the layer.

> hand, when one end of a "layer=0" bridge is directly at an
> intersection with other "layer=0" streets, Osmarender renders this
> beautifully and Mapnik makes it look odd.) Since some people consider
> the entire "layer" tag to be "tagging for the renderer" these people
> probably don't think it's important to add thorough layer information;
> instead, they add just enough to make it look decent in "the
> renderer". I am not of that opinion.

To beat the "tagging for the renderer" horse for a minute: We want to avoid the following scenario: someone maps their local gym with shop=gym, name="Abs of Steel". The renderer does't do anything for shop=gym, so nothing shows up on the map. They then change the tags to something that does render, perhaps, leisure=sports_centre.

However, in this case, they layer= tag is all about getting the map to be meaningful.

I do see a legitimate question about whether a bridge over a river or canyon needs a layer tag. In Oregon, rivers are at level 0, just like roads. It sounds like some folks are mapping them at layer=-1.

Maybe I should rephrase my question: is there any harm in adding a layer=1 tag to something that is already tagged bridge=yes? Would things be worse after doing this? I submit that the maps would look the same or better in most cases.

Any objection to trying this on a smaller scale, say, just Portland, OR?

thanks,
-Dion