[Talk-us] Questions about tagging local streets as US and state highways

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Sat Jan 30 18:52:48 GMT 2010

On 01/30/2010 12:30 PM, Leroy E Leonard wrote:
> Some specific questions:
> 1. Do we need the ref tag for the way when we have the two relations
> with the same info?

Mapnik renders shields from the ref tag on the way, so yes.

> 2. Should the ref tag in the US 278 relation really be "US 278" or simply "278"?

In the relation, it should be 278.  On the ways the ref tag should be
“US 278; US:GA 10”

> Philosophical questions:
> 3. This road never renders with shields. Should it? Is it a problem of
> tagging, rendering, or false expectations?

Only mapnik renders the shields, and then it uses the ref tag from the
way.  It also generally renders shields at a closer zoom than one might
expect.  So probably a mixture of all 3.

> 4. (Related to question 1) when we have duplicate information in ways
> and relations, is there a reason to having it duplicated or should it
> be moved to the relation?

Yes.  Renderers may pull their information from one source or another,
so it’s useful to have it in all places that a renderer might want.

Hope this helps.
-Alex Mauer “hawke”