[Talk-us] United States Roadway Classification Guidelines

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Jul 27 17:47:17 BST 2010

On 07/27/2010 08:00 AM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> We have those tags: lanes=*, width=*, etc. But there's no "on the
> ground" definition of importance, and there's nothing wrong with
> tagging correctly for the renderers. Classification has been
> subjective from the beginning in the US, because there is no
> consistent government-assigned classification.

I’ve found that, when available, the HFCS (Highway Functional
Classification System—not to be confused with High Fructose Corn Syrup)
is quite consistent.  Unfortunately, it’s not available for every area.
 I am of the opinion that it should be followed when possible.  The
system described at the wiki page under discussion seems like a good way
to do it where HFCS is not available (with the addition of /trunk/ as
described below, though trunks are not always limited-access.)