[Talk-us] United States Roadway Classification Guidelines

McGuire, Matthew Matt.McGuire at metc.state.mn.us
Wed Jul 28 14:11:40 BST 2010

Tag for truth!

Not to speak for Ian, but what I took that to mean was that tags should be based on observation, not based on how a feature should be represented on a map.

Tagging incorrectly is not good. And tagging correctly is good. Tagging for the renderer is not correct.

My own view is that ideally, OSM represents the sum of a boat-load of sensor agents - mappers - observing the earth and recording what they see. This action is like waves crashing on stones. The stones will be worn smooth by time and activity. If mappers start to envision what the beach should look like, they will start cutting stones and designing the beach. It will not be formed elementally. It will become a pale, crude and/or garish imitation of a beach.

All other maps that I have ever seen - including all I have made - have this crude quality. Sensor derived geographic material such as satellite and aerial imagery does not have this quality when viewed at appropriate scales. OSM can transcend the crudeness of vector maps and the scale limitations of sensor derived data if mappers act as agents on one feature at a time.

So I object on this principal, call it the naïve mapper, to network analysis requirements for tagging roads.