[Talk-us] United States Roadway Classification Guidelines

Carl Anderson carl.anderson at vadose.org
Thu Jul 29 16:35:57 BST 2010

WRT US Highway classifications

You may want to take a look at the National Highway Planning Network.
http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_atlas_database/2010/zip/nhpn.zip

It contains the state designated functional classifications for some roads
classified as a "Minor Collector" and almost all roads with a "Major
collector" or higher classifications.  As a planning product it does include
roads that are still in the planning stages.  Overall it is very helpful to
see how the States view the classification of their roads.

Functional classification differs from physical classification in that
functional represents how a roadway participates in a local transportation
network and physical represents the number of lanes, speed limit, daily
traffic volume.

Fields of interest may be
FCLASS is the functional classification
AADT is the Average Annualized Daily Traffic  (Traffic volume)
THRULANES is the number of lanes

The functional classifications are defined in the Metadata as this:
    Attribute:
      Attribute_Label: FCLASS
      Attribute_Definition: Identifies the assigned functional class of each
arc.
      Attribute_Definition_Source: Original functional classification codes
came from data sources submitted as part of 1992 Functional Reclassification
by State agencies.  For segments on the National Highway System this
attribute has been quality controlled against the 2002 HPMS.
      Attribute_Domain_Values:
        Enumerated_Domain:
          Enumerated_Domain_Value: 01
          Enumerated_Domain_Value_Definition: Rural Principal Arterial -
Interstate
          Enumerated_Domain_Value_Definition_Source: FHWA
        Enumerated_Domain:
          Enumerated_Domain_Value: 02
          Enumerated_Domain_Value_Definition: Rural Principal Arterial -
Other
        Enumerated_Domain:
          Enumerated_Domain_Value: 06
          Enumerated_Domain_Value_Definition: Rural Minor Arterial
        Enumerated_Domain:
          Enumerated_Domain_Value: 07
          Enumerated_Domain_Value_Definition: Rural Major Collector
        Enumerated_Domain:
          Enumerated_Domain_Value: 08
          Enumerated_Domain_Value_Definition: Rural Minor Collector
        Enumerated_Domain:
          Enumerated_Domain_Value: 09
          Enumerated_Domain_Value_Definition: Rural Local
        Enumerated_Domain:
          Enumerated_Domain_Value: 11
          Enumerated_Domain_Value_Definition: Urban Principal Arterial -
Interstate
        Enumerated_Domain:
          Enumerated_Domain_Value: 12
          Enumerated_Domain_Value_Definition: Urban Principal Arterial-Other
Freeways & Expressways
        Enumerated_Domain:
          Enumerated_Domain_Value: 14
          Enumerated_Domain_Value_Definition: Urban Principal Arterial -
Other
        Enumerated_Domain:
          Enumerated_Domain_Value: 16
          Enumerated_Domain_Value_Definition: Urban Minor Arterial
        Enumerated_Domain:
          Enumerated_Domain_Value: 17
          Enumerated_Domain_Value_Definition: Urban Collector
        Enumerated_Domain:
          Enumerated_Domain_Value: 19
          Enumerated_Domain_Value_Definition: Urban Local
C.

Carl Anderson

Carl Anderson, GISP

canderson at spatialfocus.com