[Talk-us] Removing tiger:* tags

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Thu Jul 29 23:58:56 BST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Dave Hansen <dave at sr71.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 18:44 -0400, Anthony wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Alan Mintz
>> <Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> > A couple of different users have recently been removing all the tiger:*=*
>> > tags from roads in the process of other edits to them.
>>
>> I'm among them.  Mostly because they are not documented in the wiki.
>
> Heh.  OK, let's go deleting all of the tags that don't show up in the
> wiki.  That should pretty significantly reduce the size of the
> database. :)

Will it?  I can't think of many that I've run across.

>> > However, they also contain the original
>> > breakdown of the prefix, root, and suffix before they got combined into the
>> > name and then expanded by the balrog-kun bot - information which will be
>> > useful in the majority of cases if we ever get back to
>> > splitting/standardizing.
>>
>> If you want to do that, just go back to the original database.
>
> Sometimes, since people removed things and moved them around, it's very
> difficult to _go_ back to the original database.  Every one of these
> tags make that more feasible.

Just look in the history for when the way was originally added.

>> > AFAIK, we haven't (yet) agreed that these tags should be removed, right?
>>
>> Dunno.
>
> Please keep them.  They're not hurting anything.

Please define them in the wiki, and I'll keep them.  Unless I have a
definition, I have no way of determining if they're correct or not.

Furthermore, don't store redundant data in the OSM database.  There's
absolutely no excuse for having 200 ways which all say name=Cain Rd,
name_base=Cain, name_type=Rd.  It's absolutely terrible design.

So come up with a better design, define it in the wiki, and I'll keep it.