[Talk-us] Removing tiger:* tags

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 02:13:40 BST 2010

On 30 July 2010 03:04, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
>> If the tlids represent "the original set of data from
>> which the bridge might have come", then it's best off in the history.
>
> And sticking with the theme of "creating a general solution" rather
> than "maintaining kludgy tiger-specific hacks", maybe we could

It's not tiger specific to be specific.  If anybody wants to find
correspondences between OSM objects and USGS objects and store in the
db then I really believe it's useful information.  We can't help
having many databases on the internet referring to / describing the
same real objects, so let's at least order the mess.

That's also why it's not best stored in the object's history -- the
same osm object may come to describe a different real world object
after some edits.

Cheers