[Talk-us] Removing tiger:* tags

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 21:22:22 BST 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Alan Mintz
<Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net<Alan_Mintz%2BOSM at earthlink.net>
> wrote:

> At 2010-07-30 12:56, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
>
>  How would I even go about checking?  Is this really something we should
> be doing every time we make a bridge?
>

> what a waste of time, let's go mapping instead. this is a wast of time
> I think we should enhance Josm/Potlatch to remove these tags in the same
> way as it is done for created_by
>

> Hopefully, you were talking about this specific case only, and not all
> tiger:*=* tags? Even still, matching the chain of TLIDs to the ways on
> either side may still prove to be useful at some point. Do we really need
> the database space that badly? Shouldn't an analysis be done to understand
> just how much space that is, what the server load will be, how much it
> expands the history, etc., as was done with the justified removal of tags
> from the nodes?

personally I think all of them. there is no value after editing.
usually I keep tlid, zipcode, county, name_type
even that this isn't very useful there can be still some use if an
application doen't yet use county polygons or there is no info about zipcode
otherwise in osm
longterm even these should go away.