[Talk-us] Removing tiger:* tags

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 01:44:43 BST 2010

On 31 July 2010 02:33, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't see how it changes anything.  If a piece of interstate I-405
>> is described by one relation or two ways one for each carriage in osm,
>> and 10 segments in TIGER, than that's a way to describe it.
>
> So how would you do any of the applications described above? They all
> require either a single TLID or everything to be tagged with a field
> that includes the correct TLID (due to joining, splitting, and
> redrawing, the latter is not true).

So your program tries to come up with a route, it knows it's driving
on road A in osm.
A has id=1 and is tagged "tiger:tlid=20:21:22:23", and it is connected
to road B (id=2, tiger:tlid="24:25:26:27") by node id=3.  You also see
that tiger way 23 meets 24.  That clearly means that from osm road A
you can go into tiger way 24 when you reach node id=3, without even
looking at the geometry and fuzzy guessing things (remember routing
works on huge graphs).

Or say that the government releases a database that says how many
traffic signals there are on each segment of road.  Then you can find
the junction nodes on which they should be in OSM, or at least count
how many there should be on a given street.

And yes, street names are not 100% correct or complete in OSM today..
we don't remove them though.

Cheers