[Talk-us] USGS National Map aerial imagery

Lord-Castillo, Brett BLord-Castillo at stlouisco.com
Mon Jun 7 14:25:06 BST 2010

USGS does not pay for anything below 1 ft resolution in an urban area (as defined by the Urban Area Security Initiative) or 2 ft anywhere else. Anything below that is not owned by USGS, but may be in the public domain due to a USGS contribution. There are orthoimagery sets on the seamless server that do not have a USGS contribution but are hosted there; those are not in the public domain. Unfortunately, due to cutbacks in the USGS orthoimagery program, that is becoming increasingly common (especially for large cities that want below 1 ft anyway). The best way to ensure that the imagery can be used for OSM is to contact the agency or company listed as "Source_Citation" under "Lineage". Under the last "Process_Step" under "Lineage", it should specify if there is a USGS Point of Contact for the orthoimagery set. If there is, then you can reach that point of contact to clarify usage too.

Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017