[Talk-us] Uploading all Post Office Drop Box locations in the US

David ``Smith'' vidthekid at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 21:04:42 BST 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Kirk Ireson <palmerstation at gmail.com> wrote:
> released under the Freedom of Information Act.  There are 20 Excel files
> ranging from 14,000 to 65,000 lines in length each and it looks like they do
> have all the locations.  I thought it would be a good project for me to
> extract/clean up the data and geocode it for upload (only addresses are
> given in the files) and so would like to first seek feedback from the
> community before proceeding especially with regards to licensing, tagging
> and geocoding.
>
> ==== GEOCODING: ====
>
> -Can anyone recommend a geocoding service (that is, translating an address
> to latitude/longitude) preferably free or very cheap. Only one I've found is
> http://geocoder.us (since I can't use Yahoo's or Google's without using them
> on one of their maps), but I can only send one request per 15 seconds and so
> it will take weeks (since I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars).

Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?  I'm pretty sure all
of these geocoding services, free or otherwise, are only "free beer"
and not compatible with OSM's open license, unless the geocoding data
itself is open-license or public domain (such as TIGER).  Wouldn't use
of a commercial geocoding service to import POIs taint the OSM data?
Maybe not if the original address were not present in the tagging but
still...

--
David "Smith"
a.k.a. Vid the Kid