[Talk-us] Uploading all Post Office Drop Box locations in

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 21:18:34 BST 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Joshua Finnie <joshua.finnie at gmail.com>wrote:

> As for the comment about copyright, I am not sure if this pertains to
> geographic data like locations of post offices or mail boxes.  From
> Wikipedia (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_status_of_work_by_the_U.S._government#Exemptions
> ):
>
> Exemptions
>
> Works by certain independent agencies, corporations and Federal
>> subsidiaries may be exempt from US Government copyright status. For
>> instance, material produced by the United States Postal Service<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Postal_Service>
>> [8]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_status_of_work_by_the_U.S._government#cite_note-7> are
>> typically subject to normal copyright. Most USPS materials, artwork and
>> design and all postage stamps as of January 1, 1978 or after are subject to
>> copyright laws. Works of the former United States Post Office Department<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Post_Office_Department> are
>> in the public domain (due to its former position as a cabinet department).
>

> I think this exemption is dealing with the artistic works that come out of
> the USPS like stamps etc.
>
> Just my 2 cents.

I see a copyright notice at the bottom of usps.com and see their terms of
use (http://bit.ly/90hljb).  It would be great if I were wrong and we could
use their data.

Also, I suppose someone could ask the USPS for permission to use (under our
license terms) in OSM.  They probably will say "no", but perhaps they might
say "yes".

-Katie

Katie Filbert
@filbertkm