[Talk-us] Changing Data Attribution

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Jun 13 12:42:31 BST 2010

Josh Kraayenbrink <jakraay at gmail.com> writes:

> I have been thinking, possibly incorrectly, about attribution on data. The
> Tiger import was great, but as you all know, not perfectly accurate. I have
> been "reviewing" and almost all roads, ways, etc that have been imported in
> my area are now corrected. The problem comes in the ways we review this
> imported data. If I go around and get .gpx traces and use that to move the
> imported roads and mark the road as reviewed, is it really still to be
> attributed to the Tiger import, or does the source/attribution actually
> change to my trace? And what about a trace of aerial photography, make a
> difference? I do believe attributing the data to Tiger is no longer
> accurate, but not one hundred percent

There is a difference between attribution and source traceability.
Attribution is about OSM acknowledging that we used Tiger day, and is
similar to the BY requirement in CC-BY-SA.

If you adjust a way that was imported from TIGER, then really you've
produced something that is a derived work from both of you.  The history
shows that you edited it, and that seems adequate.  As far as
attribution, that's really just "Thanks to TIGER for giving us some bits
to start with", and that remains.