[Talk-us] Route Relation Nitpicking

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 00:46:29 BST 2010

(sorry about the dupe - forgot to reply to all)
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Apollinaris Schoell <aschoell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Phil! Gold <phil_g at pobox.com> wrote:
>> How consistent are the US route relations?  Should the relations with
>> network information in the ref= tags be updated, or should the wiki be
>> changed to document current behavior?
>
> wiki should be updated. reality of many mappers should rule over wiki
> written by one

Sorry, but the current de facto standard is largely my doing (while
completing these relations). It too is "written by one", and there was
some complaint about it. It shouldn't be taken as an actual agreed-on
standard.

>> [0] I note that this is the opposite of the ref= tag on the roads
>>    themselves, where the network info is included and it seems there are
>>    debates as to whether dashes or spaces should separate the network and
>>    number.
>
> it should be easy for mappers as first priority. if it's good for software
> even better.
> with 2 tags there is no discussion about separators and it's also easier to
> combine them in the desired format. also typos like 2 spaces instead one
> will be less common

I think he's talking about whether there's a space or dash between
"US" and "66". The de facto and wiki standard for US and Interstate
Highways has always been a space during my time here. For lower
classes there is no standard at all.

Separating these into multiple tags on a way doesn't work because of
overlaps: a road can be in more than one system.