[Talk-us] Route Relation Nitpicking

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 01:27:16 BST 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>wrote:

> On 6/16/10 1:35 PM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>
> > I simply used the same ref that would be on the ways. It seemed
> > logical at the time.
> >
> i think we need to probably work on a more general statement about what ref
> tags should be.

yes

> now that we have decent garmin maps, the intersection between tagging
> and rendering
> is an issue, given that the garmin display is limited in width and also
> needs to be
> something that can be quickly understood.
>
> i'll posit first that ref should be consistent across ways and
> relations, which it isn't now.
>
>  yes, this makes way ref and relation refs interchangeable. easy to
understand for humans and software

> i'll secondarily posit that we probably want to keep it short.

as short as possible, but not cryptic. an average mapper should understand
it without reading the wiki just looking at osm data should be good enough
to understand

> where i'm going is this:
>
> ref always gets the alpha numeric reference text, but does not get the
> network, e.g.
> we should migrate to
>
> 7 instead of US 7, NY 7, (7), etc.

the ref tag on ways is already rendered in many maps and is an globally
accepted standard. This should not change. I do agree it makes sense but
it's too late and the cost of change has not enough benefit and for all non
US related services, rendering, checking it's practically impossible to get
it changed.

> the network tag should be present, and the rightmost segment (after the
> last :) should
> provide a prefix
>
> network=US:NY
> ref=7
>
> should yield NY 7
>
> this is useless, cryptic and doesn't match reality of signs
network is US, I, and all variants of state, county, refs
this specific example of tagging can't be used for garmin maps without heavy
preprocessing.
what is the advantage?

> of course, we could ask that mkgmap be changed to accomodate this
> standard, but i really think that the ref & network tags, consistently
> formatted in the database, should be clear and simple.

yes, clear and simpel are important. even more it should match the signs on
ground.
adding fancy characters for no good reason is not a good idea.