[Talk-us] Route Relation Nitpicking

Zeke Farwell ezekielf at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 04:51:43 BST 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>wrote:

> 7 instead of US 7, NY 7, (7), etc.

Yes.  Thank You.  I've never liked putting network prefixes in the ref tag.
 The reference number for United States Highway 7 is simply "7" not "US 7".
 No one calls it US 7 either.  Just "7", or "route 7".  I understand that
before relations existed the prefixes were necessary.  But now that we do
have relations ref=7 network=US:US, and ref=7 network=US:NY should work just
fine.  Clean and simple.

Also I did not understand until just now why the network value US:US
existed.  Seemed to me like plain old US should do the trick.  After looking
on the wiki I see that it is to make it follow the same form as US:I and
US:(state abbr).  Doesn't seem very human friendly to me though.  If I were
a new mapper I would assume US, US:I, and US:(state abbr) would be the
values.  I know it's nitpicking, but that is the subject of this thread :-)

Zeke