[Talk-us] US BLM Designated Wilderness

Erik G. Burrows erik at erikburrows.com
Wed Jun 30 04:53:04 BST 2010

>> I'd like to volunteer to import the rest of these designated wilderness
>> areas into the OSM database as a bulk import.
>
> I'm assuming you're talking about the entire US, and not just
> California… in that case, please do!

Yes, the BLM has data for all of the US, including Hawaii and Alaska.

> One thing to note: wilderness areas do appear to be imported in areas
> managed by the US Forest Service. For example, in New Mexico, where I've
> been mapping:
>
>   http://osm.org/go/TnXsHiO-
>
> I'm under the impression that Forest Service GIS data is very high
> quality. You'd want to make sure not to double-import/duplicate these
> boundaries.

I agree, the USFS, BLM, etc data seems to be of very good quality, but as
with the Mojave area I did, there can be some overlap. Checking for
overlap will have to be part of the process.

> --
> Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA
>
> If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
> -- Derek Bok, president of Harvard (515)

If you are flammable and have legs, you're never blocking a fire exit.
-Mitch Hedberg