[Talk-us] New List: osm-professional

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Mar 3 22:37:32 GMT 2010

On 3/3/10 1:55 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Dave Hansen wrote:
>
>> Serge, it looks like there may be a bit of sensitivity with calling
>> lists "moderated".  Although I think it's fair to spell out the
>> expectations:
>>
> I think there is no problem with suggesting a certain "style" for a list
> and/or having something like a charta (what old style Usenet newsgroups
> used to have).
>
> Having a list where members are trusted so little that their posts need
> to be read by members of the osm-us board before being allowed through
> is, however, not acceptable to me.

having run internet mailing lists for most of the past 30 years, i think
i have a good
grasp of what Serge, Kate and Thea are planning to do.

moderating every posting is miserable, nobody wants to do that for any
length of time.
i have experimented with it on lists before, and it just doesn't work
very well, you can't
keep everyone happy and there will always be a few people ticked off at
you. it's just
no fun at all.

the moderation they are after sounds like a light handed one, reminding
people that the
tone of discussion is supposed to be professional. i would imagine that
they'll be asking
people to use care with their language and avoid ad-hominem arguments.

richard