[Talk-us] Motorway vs trunk

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 17:39:16 GMT 2010

On 4 Mar 2010, at 8:45 , Alan Mintz wrote:

> At 2010-03-03 14:00, Paul Johnson wrote:
>> Dave Hansen wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 15:50 -0500, Richard Welty wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, it's going to look goofy on the map to have dotted green and blue
>>> lines.
>
> I agree. However, coincidentally, I drove part of US-101 north of Ventura,
> CA this weekend and saw exactly that type of labeling on the route. For
> several miles, you'd see a Begin Freeway sign, then a short distance later,
> an End Freeway sign, then an intersection, then a Begin Freeway sign, etc.
> I laughed out loud.
>
> Regardless of the ground truth, I don't agree it should be mapped this way.
> I'm mapping the whole area trunk, turning to motorway only where there is a
> significant stretch (i.e. miles) of no intersections.

this is common on US 101. maybe even worse in northern CA and on many other routes like US 50
one osm holy mantra has always been map what's on the ground.
If the highway system is a mess then there is no reason not to show it on the map.
Compare it with google maps and you will find they do exactly the same up/down