[Talk-us] proposed first principles for United States road tagging

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sun Mar 7 16:34:18 GMT 2010

On 3/7/10 11:19 AM, Anthony wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com
> <mailto:bill.n1vux at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org
>     <mailto:baloo at ursamundi.org>> wrote:
>
>         I can think of several interstates that are unpaved and undivided,
>         though all of them are in Alaska.
>

>     wow that's news to me. Are they limited access ?
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highways_in_Alaska
>
> "They follow various combinations of Alaska Routes, which generally
> fail to meet Interstate Highway standards, being for the most part
> two-lane rural highways without controlled access. The federal
> government established the classification of these roads as Interstate
> Highways, primarily for funding purposes."

ah, but they're not signed, the interstate designation is
administrative/political (funding).

this is similar to the issue in NY (and probably other places) where
there are roads
maintained by the state to high standards, with "reference route"
designations, but no
signage other that the small green reference markers. putting these
designations in
a ref tag with a US:<whatever> network would be misleading to anyone
trying to
navigate with a map.

probably a better example are the unpaved state highways that may be found
in some parts of New Hampshire. they do have signage, are they secondary
because they're state highways?

richard