[Talk-us] Time to retire ref= on ways?

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 17:52:43 GMT 2010

fully agree we should keep this target in mind.
But first we have to resolve a long list of problems first.
there shouldn't be any time when the renderer or other data consumers will be left with completely broken data because step2 was done before step1
osm doesn't have any way of enforcing anything we need to be careful to kill the dinosaur too early

1) route relation tagging has to be defined, agreed and accepted widely. currently it's a mess.
2) rendering, garmin maps, any other major data consumer must be updated to use relations. currently none does to my knowledge. no wonder since 1) isn't done
3) define a grace period after 1,2) is done and consider to delete them after that. No need to do it because any consumer understanding relations the right way will push down the relation ref and ignore the way ref.