[Talk-us] Civil Defense Sirens?

Lord-Castillo, Brett BLord-Castillo at stlouisco.com
Mon May 3 18:29:34 BST 2010

Just wondering what would be the purpose of mapping civil defense sirens? You have to make some significant decisions of what kind of information to include about the sirens (for example, without range and/or model, you cannot derive projected coverage; without directional coverage you cannot identify nearest covering siren). Sirens are also one of those areas (like mapping major pipelines) that do fall under homeland security protections for sunshine laws. Some jurisdictions (mostly cities) are open with their siren locations, some of them are very protective (mostly those places whose sirens have been subjected to attacks by siren hackers in the past or who have particularly significant security concerns). Mapping site specific sirens (like those used for electric generation facilities) can especially draw scrutiny.
As for the feasibility, I recently did a project to map 210 sirens from aerial photos and ground work, and it was virtually impossible without prior knowledge of the siren locations and high resolution aerial oblique photos. In all, it took about 60 hours of work (and that was with a list of locations).
--Brett

Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017