[Talk-us] Trail Route Relationships

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Mon May 10 18:07:55 BST 2010

On 05/07/2010 03:04 PM, Val Kartchner wrote:
> Which levels should be assigned as the "name" for each trail segment?
> The rest will be used in the "name" for the route relationships?  Once I
> get an answer, I'll change the trails for consistency.

Basically, follow the directions[1] for working with route
relationships.  Create a relation for each trail section as you have,
give it the name of the section.  Then create a super-relation
containing all the trail sections, and give it the name of the trail
network.  Assign each of them an appropriate route type[2].  Add any
extra stuff, e.g. foot=*, bicycle=*, horse=*.

I’ll admit to doing a bit of tagging for the renderer where I’ve had to
map similar trails, by using the ref=* tag to hold the section name, and
name=* to hold the global trail name.

1. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route#Mapping_practice
2.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route#List_of_route_types_in_use