[Talk-us] Resigning in protest

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed May 12 23:43:35 BST 2010

On 5/12/10 10:19 AM, SteveC wrote:
> It's pretty bonkers. Anyone is welcome to join the LWG call each week or read the minutes, and be as involved as you like.
>
> License changes will always throw up people who don't like it, and the LWG has been going through peoples legitimate and illegitimate concerns for two years I think it's been now. We've had lawyers checking everything at every step of the way. So it's very frustrating for those involved after so much effort to finally be able to make one step towards completion, and have people throw stones like this.
>
> Because, after all if you do your homework CCBYSA is a total mess for OSM and all the LWG is trying to do is fix that mess.

yes. i haven't really been following the licensing closely, but after
the email from Chris, i went through the wiki page outlining the issues.
from where i sit (as of this past monday, working at a major corporation
that _may_ use OSM in a logistics application), this change is pretty
much necessary for OSM to achieve its goals. my new employer runs all
this stuff through their lawyers; they would probably not approve the
CCBYSA and probably would approve the new license, as it rather exactly
addresses the things that they worry about.

so i will continue to contribute to OSM and i will consent to the new
license when the time comes.

richard