[Talk-us] Street Naming Conventions

Richard Finegold goldfndr+osm at gmail.com
Fri May 14 21:16:22 BST 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 20:18, Val Kartchner <val42k at gmail.com> wrote:
> This topic has been dropped without it having been resolved.  We still
> need some way of addressing the issues summarized in
> "http://vidthekid.info/misc/osm-abbr.html".  This can be summarized as
> needing to create fields for:
>
>  direction prefix
>  street name
>  street type
>  direction suffix
>
> This is needed for exactly the same reason that no abbreviations are
> supposed to be used in OSM: There is no automated way to fix the parts
> of a street name.
>
> For instance, here are some actual addresses which occur in this area:
>
>  Number  Prefix  Street Name          Type    Suffix
>  200     West    North Temple         Street
>  200     East    South Temple         Street
>  200     North   West Temple          Street
>  50      East    North Lakeview       Drive
>  50      East    South Lakeview       Drive
>  2450    North   E                    Street
>  300             Southgate            Drive
>  4700    West    3300                 Street  South
>
> These are just samples, but others on this list have come up with other
> examples that demonstrate the problems with the current way of doing
> things.  Also, in the last example given above, the "Type" and "Suffix"
> would be swapped, but in most written addresses the "Type" would be
> dropped.

I'll again claim that just one field would be enough -- the street
name -- and the other three can be derived from their offsets; trivial
for direction prefix, and slightly more complicated (requiring a
dictionary/list of directions, anything left over goes into the street
type field) for the latter two.

Can you offer any examples where these three would be difficult to
derive if one was provided only full name and street name?