[Talk-us] Appalachian Trail data

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri May 21 04:33:42 BST 2010

Yup,
Then it's a good reason to go an physically survey it.
It's fine to load the .gpx file onto your device... as long as your
physically hiking/waking/driving to the TrailHeads, it's fine to use... then
you manualy update OSM that way.

... just because the AT data is "Official"  doesn't mean that it is actually
accurate to the physical land.

I am finding the same with the Trans Canada Trail  gpx data.   In some
cases, the source data was collected a long time ago and local area trail
groups have changed the trail.... but didn't tell the Master Source of Trans
Canada Trail that it's been updated.  (and sometimes the origional data was
collected when the trail is along railbeds that are in Canyons so the GPS
recieves a poor signal.   In those area's i see a 20 meter difference.   And
in other areas i found that the route is changed.

Happy Hiking :-)

You can also post your trail/route over on GPSies.com  & that system will
donate your GPS tracks to OSM.   So it's a Win-win.  (GPSies.com also uses
OpenCycleMap as a background map so that's great too)

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails

... PS.  Im getting ready to bike the entire Trans Canada Trail. .... but
there is one problem. .. the Trans Canada Trail is a "Greenway"  and not a
Biking Trail.... nor is it a "hiking trail"  ... LOL  :-)
... at least the Appalachian Trail is actually a designated "Hiking
Trail",
PPS.  yes, im also working on the National Hiking Trail  (unfortunately the
folks working on it have sold their sole to the Trans Canada Trail)  :(
... so that knowone will be able to actually use the TCT end-to-end ....
oh well, more work for me :-)   (see above username)  :-)
.... but 1st I need a detailed basemap.  So for you, it's a good thing that
TIGER has already been imported, so its just a matter of correcting as you
go.