[Talk-us] Appalachian Trail data

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat May 22 20:31:20 BST 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Jean-Guilhem Cailton <jgc at arkemie.com> wrote:
> Le 22/05/2010 20:47, Richard Weait a écrit :
> Thanks for explaining things this thoroughly. (Since no one had answer, I
> had thought i'd offer my best guess, along with the link to conditions on
> site).
>
> I have a remaining question : without a source tag, how does one later knows
> where the data came from ?

A source tag can certainly be handy for the next editor in evaluating
data they are tempted to change.  But using a source as attribution,
or part of a legal agreement is problematic.  for an import, source
probably fits better in the changeset.  Also source may be implied by
the specific import-user created for the import.

> (and, by the way, many of the imports in the catalog seem to have a source
> tag).

Indeed they do.