[Talk-us] Abandoned Railroads

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed May 26 06:19:35 BST 2010

Richard Welty writes:
 > On 5/23/10 5:26 PM, Eric Christensen wrote:
 > >
 > > Just a quick question.  I'm working on updating the maps around my
 > > office.  "Development" has really changed the landscape around there and
 > > a lot of the roads are incorrect.
 > >
 > > The existing maps show abandoned railroad tracks in the area.  That must
 > > have been some time ago as there are no traces of these tracks left.
 > >
 > > At what point do we remove those from the maps or should we keep them
 > > there indefinitely?
 > >
 > i don't think there's general agreement on that. those of us
 > interested in historical data would like to see this stuff stick
 > around; many are not interested and would just as soon it got
 > removed.

Even though you say that there are no traces of these tracks, there
are often traces you can't see.  I've traced many a railbed through a
city by looking for buildings with corners chopped off, or curving to
fit tight up against a spur.

So I'd say to mark them railway=abandoned and leave it at that.  If
there are still rails, then railway=disused, even if they're not
connected to the national rail network.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog